Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Bailey's Local Foods ordering ends at 8:00 pm on Tuesday, August 2nd

This is a reminder that you should place your order before 8:00 pm Tuesday August 2nd for pickup on Friday August 5th.
Click http://baileyslocalfoods.ca/ordering to log-in and order.
Items that you have placed in your shopping cart will be ordered on your behalf on Tuesday at 8:00pm. There is no checkout button. If you do not intend to order, please ensure that your shopping cart is empty.

From Rachael:

Have you had a chance to order yet?
Remember that it's already Tuesday!

This week we ran out of some items. I forgot to order yogurt (so I made some myself!) and I think we used the last of our paneer from Local Dairy in a lovely curry tonight. The kids and my mom had cheese and crackers for lunch today, so I need to restock the cheese drawer! I also used the last of the Gluten Free Sunflower Bread from Green Table foods making BLTs, so Iâ€TMm really happy that it is available again this week. Weâ€TMre offering their yummy GF Multigrain Bread too, but if we donâ€TMt get 4 or 5 of each ordered we my not be able to get both types. It freezes beautifully so I often stock up!

You likely have noticed that there are peaches on the order form this week! Yay! Just a reminder that the peaches we get from Eva and Rene are †tree runâ€TM so youâ€TMll get some that are riper and some that may need a few days, the sizes will vary and the peaches will have fuzz on them! The cool thing about the fuzz? You know that they have not been through the fungicidal baths or paraffin coating that happen at the grading and sorting station.

Maryrose canâ€TMt wait to have grilled peaches with a Crème Fraiche and maple syrup drizzle. Give it a try - it is a great summer time dessert. You'll find me with peach juice running down my chin!

I wish that I could offer you organic corn on the order form and watermelon too, but with this weather the crops are very slow to start. If weâ€TMre lucky there will be some on the spontaneous table on Friday!

Farmers who had so much to sell us last year are finding it hard to fill orders, so I ask that you be patient while these little bursts of rain bring their produce back again. Thank you for supporting them through us. We ask the farmers to set their own prices and the odd time even pay them a little more than they would normally see to a wholesale customer for.

Last year one farmer was not able to fill her order for organic peas, so I asked another organic farmer if he had peas to fill the orders. Luckily he was able to help us out and when I asked him the price, I held my breath. We try not to increase the the price you are paying after youâ€TMve ordered and if his peas cost us more to buy weâ€TMd likely just reduce our markup. His price was lower than I expected so I told him Iâ€TMd rather pay himmore for his peas. I think I took him completely by surprise! Most farmers are asked to sell their produce for as little as possible.

A few weeks later the same farmerâ€TMs wife was paying Wendell the pickup fee (which we have stopped charging the old order farmers) and Wendell was absolutely surprised when she suggested paying a little more than what was suggested... When I heard this I smiled and told Wendell the story of the peas! It was a very nice gesture that went both ways.

Zucchini, Zucchini, Zucchini!
I donâ€TMt think this weather has affected the zucchini plants at all... We have lots of bulk zucchini available and Denise was nice enough to share a great recipe!

Zucchini Salsa

  • 2 medium sized zucchini, finely diced
  • 3 spring onions, whites only, chopped
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
  • 1/2 tomato, finely diced
Dressing

  • Salt & Pepper, to taste
  • 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
Mix together & let chill for 1 hour.

This isn't a precise recipe as I was trying to copy this after having it at a Mexican restaurant in Vancouver.
You can add garlic or diced avocado (recommended) if you like. Diced feta cheese is good too. I have also used red onion along with the white ones.

Thanks Denise!!! If you have an interesting recipe please send it along to us. Especially recipes for some of the more unknown produce we offer through out the year. Such as Kohlrabi, fenugreek etc. We love passing these recipes along to all of our members.

Wild Food Snack Trail Workshop - September 3rd
Jackie, Bill & Natalie are holding a workshop on topics including wild foods, edible landscaping, forest gardening, and permaculture design. The date is Sept 3 (Labour Day weekend) and there is only space for 20 people, so if you are interested register soon! More details are online at http://www.wrfoodsystem.ca/events/meander-and-munch-a-forest-lunch/#event or email us and we will forward the poster with more information!

Enjoy a short week!
Maryrose and Rachael
Bailey's Local Foods
baileyslocalfoods.ca

Click http://baileyslocalfoods.ca/ordering to log-in and order.

P.S. We can use your fruit boxes, baskets and jars from preserves again if you return them.

Is this your first email from us? Read more at baileyslocalfoods.blogspot.com.
Find us on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/baileyslocalfoods

No comments: