Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Bailey's Buying Club - Grapes!

Hi Folks,

Okay, I just can't resist offering big boxes of luscious local
no-spray grapes this week! I'm getting a few boxes to eat fresh and to
juice. I can just imagine how good that grape juice will taste in
Winter with a big bowl of popcorn.

I have a juicer that makes it super easy. My mom gave me that juicer
when I left for college and I don't think I've used it more than once
or twice. I never had a source of no-spray grapes before! I can lend
you the juicer if you're willing to work around my schedule of using
it.

Another way to can grape juice without a juicer (and it is still super
easy) is to fill sterile jars about half way with grapes and then pour
boiling water over it (most people add a half cup of sugar to each
jar). Put on the lid and ring, and process in a hot water bath to seal
the jar. (Just needs to boil for 10 min). In January you open your
jar and pour the grape and water mixture through a fine sieve and
there you have it: concentrated local grape juice (without sprays!).
You can add water (and maybe sugar) to taste. Matthew likes to drink
it straight up - on the rocks. No sugar no water.

This week there is the sovereign coronation grape. It is similar in
taste and size to the concord grape but it has a smaller seed. There
is also a green table grape which is also similar in size to the
concord but again has a very small seed. They are both good for eating
and juicing!

Come a little later on Friday to give me a chance to get the grapes.
Between 4 and 8PM is good. It will be self-serve. I'll have a box to
leave the cheques in.

Happy juicing,
Nina

PS There will be grapes for sale next week too.

No comments: