Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Bailey's Local Foods ordering ends at 8:00 pm on Tuesday, October 5th + No pickup on October 15th!

This is your reminder that you should place your order before 8:00 pm Tuesday, October 5th for pickup on Friday, October 8th.
Click http://baileyslocalfoods.ca/ordering to log-in and order.

Items that you have placed in your shopping cart will be ordered on your behalf on Tuesday at 8:00pm. There is no checkout button. If you do not intend to order, please ensure that your shopping cart is empty.

***Please note - the last Friday pickup is October 22. After that we will be changing the pickup day to MONDAYS until May. Be sure to order for 2 weeks!

Message from Rachael:

Are you gearing up for Thanksgiving? I'm not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to enjoy at least three meals with various family groups, but I'm not in charge of planning or cooking! I see what has been ordered (including a big turkey for dinner with my husband's whole family) and I'm very excited! Andrew, his brothers and his mom are in charge of the meal. Right now I'm thinking of chairs and how to get enough for everyone. I'll definitely help out with the non traditional (read: shellfish) meal with my Dad and sisters. We'll also bring something to my Aunt's house, but haven't decided on what we're bringing yet.

I don't cook dinner often, but last night I had lots of fun cooking with my three year old. I had finally boiled and skinned three bunches of neglected beets (they were great with a little sugar and Apple Cider Vinegar - Sweet and sour style) and planned on cooking some little potatoes for dinner. They were already boiled when my youngest came over with an onion he was peeling and asked to have it with dinner. We pulled out the frying pan and fried a couple small onions in some oil and butter. I suggested that we could add some cabbage too and he agreed. We added some shredded cabbage and then squished the potatoes in - easier than cutting. Last came the apples. He loves apples. The kid could eat four a day - and I'm not talking small ones. You've seen the Honey Crisps and Crispin/Mutsu apples from Martin's. They are sometimes as big as a child's head! We sliced one up and added it in too - it stayed nice and crisp. What a tasty side dish to go with BBQ'd sausage.

Would you be interested in sharing some of your own writing with our members? I'd love to have some guest writers to make our emails more interesting! If you would like to write, please let me know! You could talk about what you love to eat and cook, your gardening or preserving or what you have learned from eating more locally. Maybe tell others about your chickens or bees or goats! I'd love to know what you love the most about this area - share some of the gems that would otherwise go unnoticed. Other suggestions are welcome too!

Here are some things to look for on this week's order form:
 
  • Lena Horst has new pie flavours (mostly with organic fillings from her farm!) as well as new cakes and loaves
  • Salad Greens from Under Ground Organics (Mibuna, Mizuna and Mustard) as well as Rapini (aka broccoli Raab)
  • Brussels Sprouts from Soiled Reputation
  • Tortilla chips are back on the form - sorry for the inconvenience!
  • Daikon Radishes and Napa cabbage and all the other great ingredients for making your own Kim Chi!
  • Enough yogurt, cheese, eggs and everything else for 2 weeks!
  • A turkey - available frozen and naturally raised or organic.
  • Bread for stuffing and eating
  • Gourmet or Bistro greens from Soiled Reputation for the easiest and yummiest salad you've ever served. Just add dressing and toppings
  • Prepared foods from for next week in case there aren't any leftovers!!
Remember to order for 2 weeks!

Until Friday,
Rachael
Bailey's Local Foods
baileyslocalfoods.ca

Click http://baileyslocalfoods.ca/ordering to log-in and order.

P.S. We can use your fruit boxes, baskets and jars from preserves again if you return them.

Is this your first email from us?
Read more at baileyslocalfoods.blogspot.com.

You are receiving Standard Notifications because you are a member of Bailey's Local Food Buying Club.

No comments: