Monday, October 6, 2008

Bailey's Buying Club Oct 10

Yes, it definitely smells like Thanksgiving. I'm in the mood. Bring on the turkey and squash.

Hi Folks,
I know I said we were not going to be offering many squash but then
Martha calls me up and offers me a delectable selection of uncertified
organic squash at great prices - and great names. Like Uchika-Kuri. It
is a small Hubbard type squash.
http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_045-137.html to see a photo of it.
You know about Spaghetti Squash, right? When you scoop it out (after
baking/steaming) it has a texture like spaghetti and is excellent with
a red or white sauce on it. All these squash have given me an idea
for a dinner. I'll bake a variety of these squash (halved and upside
down) and then serve them with stuffing on the side so that it can be
a "squash-tasting" opportunity. It's hard to tell what kind of squash
is used in a pumpkin pie with all the sugar and spices but when you
just bake it and put a bit of salt and butter on it, you can really
taste the nuances of differences between the varieties. So that's what
I'm going to do and I'll report back on my favourite squash. Right now
I don't know what my favourite is. I just know that I like butternut a
lot. But I'm ready to branch out. These squash will keep for 6-10
weeks in your basement or even on the kitchen counter (though they
store better when it is cooler). This is your chance to stock up on
enough squash for between now and Christmas. We'll have a few more
butternuts and pie pumpkins coming in from Selema but that may be it.

Kevin Shantz, the turkey farmer, has a few extra turkeys so if you
didn't order one but want one, you can indicate that on the order
form. They are drug free, fed a vegetarian diet and frozen. They are
18-22lbs.

More lovely cheeses this week from Millbank. And butter.

Through Pfenning's we also are offering yams, parsnips, and a spring
salad mix (shouldn't they call it Autumn salad mix?). Pfenning's is
the queen of local food around here, did you know that? They buy local
organic foods from many farmers locally (and from far away as well)
and then market and distribute them. They also are possibly the
biggest storer of local foods in the area. They are able to sell local
carrots into February most years. Before I order from them I ask
where the item is grown to make sure it is from within 100 miles. I'm
happy to support Pfennings because they do a great job of being a
steady buyer of local foods from local organic farmers. They also are
a genuine family-run business with family members who really care
about organic food.

We're not offering baked goods from Bread and Bretzel this week but
maybe Dad and I can make some cookies to have for Friday so nobody
faints from hunger.

Our next buying club ordering week will be the week of Oct 31. My Dad
is going to Seattle for a couple weeks with his sister and brother to
attend his great-nephew's bar mitzvah. We'll also have buying club on
November 7, November 28 and December 19. Then it is once a month until
mid May.

This is the last week for sweet corn. Paul says he's got smaller cobs.
I wish that Paul and Selema lived closer. They are doing an excellent
job of growing some less common foods and I'd like to buy from them
all year. They live on the other side of Linwood a couple miles. They
are even growing Chinese Cabbage and Celariac this Fall! I hope we get
a chance to taste them!. Last year I first met Paul in February when
we went on a field trip with a few other farmers to see some farmers
who were growing salad mixes in greenhouses all Winter. When we
dropped Paul off after the trip he said he could sell me fresh dug
carrots - in February! Of course, I said "Give me lots!" He, his son
Edgar (15 and out of school and working closely with his Dad to learn
the skills of farming), and I dug baby carrots from their hoop house
(unheated greenhouse). They were like candy! The cold somehow makes
them sweeter. Paul has planted carrots again in that hoop house and
I'm hoping that we get a taste of those candy carrots in February and
March.

I'm guessing that this is also the last week for tomatoes and sweet
peppers and melons. We'll see if the farmers have covered them to
protect them from the night-time frosts so that we can have some for
this week. Not all is lost with a frost, though. The frost means that
the kale and turnips will be sweeter. Selema has kale and turnips for
us this week.

Martha is offering us 25lb bags of potatoes (uncertified organic).
Most of us can finish 25lbs of potatoes before they sprout or rot even
if we do not have a cold cellar. They just need to be stored in a
dark place (the cooler the better). Martha has red, white or yukon.
If you're looking for local carbohydrates for your meals, potatoes are
a great one. I refuse to believe studies that say that potatoes are
bad for us (high on the glycemic index). Humans have thrived on
potatoes in the Andes for centuries. A boiled potato mashed with a
fork and sprinkled with old cheddar is so simple and so tasty. Add a
vegetable and there's lunch.

Miriam has endive for us this week. I've never eaten it! I just
googled it and it looks like it is eaten sauted or braised. Goes well
with spaghetti apparently. I'll give it a try. Mmm, this recipe/photo
looks yum! http://orangette.blogspot.com/2006/01/how-to-endive.html
Braised Endive with Prosciutto.

How are the French Horticultural Beans going over at your dinner
tables? We're having them tomorrow with sausage, pasta and a white
sauce.

See you Friday,
Nina

No comments: