Saturday, October 23, 2010

Bailey's Buying Club - Ordering is now open for Monday November 1st + Important message

Click http://baileyslocalfoods.ca/ordering to log-in and order. Ordering closes at 8:00 pm on Tuesday, October 26th.
Please be sure to read the wavier on our website when you log in. It reminds you that items placed your shopping cart are automatically saved (there is no 'checkout' button).

Items you order this week are to be picked up at First United Church on Monday November 1st between 3:30 PM and 7:00 PM. Ordering will end on Tuesday, October 26th, 2010 at 8:00 PM

***Please note - Upcoming  MONDAY pickups are Nov. 15, Dec. 6, Dec. 20, Jan. 17. Friday Pickups will resume in May.

Message from Rachael:

I have some news to share with you. Nina has decided to leave Bailey's Local Foods to find more balance and time with her family. I truly hope that she will enjoy this next phase in her life. We will still be called Bailey's Local Foods and what you see as a Member shouldn't change too much. You won't be seeing emails from Nina anymore, but you will likely continue to see her on pickup day.

Bailey's Local Foods will continue to bring you the best in local food with the help of a new partner - Maryrose Ivanco. Maryrose has been interested in Local Foods for years and has been one of our most loyal members - she hasn't missed a week of ordering since she started! Her love of local food and her business background will be an amazing asset to this business and help us in our goal of being sustainable.

There is a message to you from Nina below. When I became a member of Bailey's Local Foods in May of 2008 on a friend's suggestion, I offered to help organize and streamline processes to save Nina some time, never knowing that one day I'd be a partner in the business! This business has certainly grown on me and I am very blessed that I am a part of it today.

I thank all the volunteers that have helped so much in the past, present, and hopefully future. I thank Nina for having vision and starting this buying club and I thank Maryrose for a future of excellent local food.
I thank each of you for being a member and supporting local farmers and producers.

If you have any comments, questions or concerns about this transition, we'd love to hear from you.

Thank you,
Rachael

-----------------------------------------
Message from Nina:

Hello Bailey's Local Foods Members,

For months now I've been fantasizing about being one of you. I want to be a member of Bailey's Local Foods and enjoy all the good food, without juggling the details and responsibilities of running a business.  I've LOVED this crazy adventure of starting a buying club and I have learned so much about myself (like I'm not good at managing 4,000 details and it makes me irritable to do so).  Bailey's Local Foods would not exist right now if Rachael Ward had not come along and gotten things organized.  Now I have the opportunity to join you as a member as I sell my half of the business to Maryrose Ivanco, who has been our bookkeeper since June. Maryrose is the one I gave you a link to her website/blog about how her Italian grandparents grow so much food in their urban yard.  Here's the link again: http://www.loopeeeee.com/ .  Check out her Thanksgiving Dinner!

The buying club is going strong and is ready to grow to the next level.  I'm excited to see the direction Rachael and Maryrose take the buying club. One of the wonderful things about running this business was learning to trust that the right people would arrive when we needed them.  They have! Over and over people with a love of food and farmers and community would show up just when we needed a little more energy and a little more muscle to make this buying club work. 

If you want me to come talk to your club or group about local food, I'd love to share with you my vision of a relocalized food system and describe how local food saves me from being paralyzed and overwhelmed by the huge challenges we are facing (global warming, pollution, war, food shortages...). I've got a Powerpoint with lots of sexy food photos ready to go for a presentation.  I'm looking forward to hibernating this Winter with more time for my family and for myself. Maybe I can even get to yoga more than once a week!

Nina

------------------------

Hello Local Eaters,

Turnips
The purple topped turnips were a lovely surprise at our house this week. I had ordered them thinking we'd put them in soups but then Matthew served them peeled and thinly sliced as a raw vegetable and we all loved them! They were so sweet and tender. Kind of reminded us of kohlrabi. So if you're looking for a refreshing raw veggie as we head into a long winter where the selection of fresh vegetables is limited - try a turnip.

Carrots
The carrots are also a delight these days. The frost has made them sweeter and they just snap in the mouth so easily. As soon as Eva's carrots are gone, Miriam promises that she has enough rows to keep us in carrots for at least a few weeks. Then Lester and Irene and their neighbours have agreed to store a ton of carrots (literally!!) in their cooler for us to buy all winter long. I've never ordered a ton of anything. It was a bit intoxicating. I wonder what a thousand pounds of carrots looks like. Well, I guess that'd be 100 of the 10lb bags. Okay, I can begin to imagine that.

Butternut Squash Lasagne
I was inspired by recipes for Butternut Squash Lasagne online this week. Of course I couldn't stick to the recipe so I don't know what it really tastes like. Instead of using lasagne noodles I used corn tortillas and added kale and black beans which it didn't call for. My five year old loved it but the two and eight year old said they'd rather go hungry than eat it. Turns out it was a texture thing. Matthew pureed the lasagne (would never have crossed my mind) with milk and made it into a soup which they both enjoyed. Lasagne soup. Mmmm : ) Should I tell them now or later I made TWO lasagnes and put one in the freezer for next week? Next time I want to try really following the recipe. The bechemel sauce is a lovely creamy touch to it. Plus a red sauce (red sauce on top and bottom and bechemel in the middle layers).

Winter local foods
I hope that you will see local foods as a fun adventure this Winter and not as a dour limitation. You can still buy all the fresh foods you want from the supermarket! Just keep buying the staples (meat, cheese, flours, beans, peanut butter, popcorn, root crops, breads, pickles, jams, crema la vaquita - a staple at our house!) from local sources and you'll keep the local food system going strong.

Keep enjoying the goodness of this land. I'll see you in the check-out line,
Nina
Bailey's Local Foods
www.baileyslocalfoods.ca

P.S. We can use your fruit boxes, baskets and jars from preserves again if you return them.

Is this your first email from us? Read more at baileyslocalfoods.blogspot.com.

You are receiving Nina's Messages because you are a member of Bailey's Local Food Buying Club.

If you do not wish to receive Nina's Messages in the future, please uncheck the Nina's Messages box associated with your email address in Account Settings at https://www.100milesystems.com/baileyslocalfoods.ca/account.php

No comments: