Sunday, October 6, 2013

For the love of Squash

I am a huge fan of Pumpkin seeds.  So much so that this evening I roasted my first squash of the year. It was a squash called "A Heart of Gold" grown at Lena and Ervin Horst's farm.  I was delicious roasted with some butter, maple syrup, salt and pepper.

Photo Courtesy of mnlocavore.com 

I saw the seeds and couldn't resist.  I rinsed them off and spread them on the baking sheet sprinkled some salt and was eating roasted squash seeds with in 20 mins.  

Kingwood farms has three new organic squash harvested this week:

Kakai Hulless Pumpkin
Photo Courtesy of: highmowingseeds.com


Hulless seeds for snacking! Endearing Japanese pumpkin with orange and green striped markings and large raised ribs. Creates a beautiful display, but is most valued for hull-less seeds which make a scrumptious snack. Kakai seeds are highly nutritious and yield a valuable oil that is used to promote prostate health in men.

Long Pie Pumpkin
Photo Courtesy of: highmowingseeds.com

If you are looking for a standard round pumpkin, then Long Pie is not for you. But if you want the best pie pumpkin for cooking, then put down your food mill and get ready to scoop out virtually stringless, smooth and brilliant orange meat! Long Pie averages 5-8 lbs. In storage it will ripen further and turn completely orange outside and get even better inside. Great keeper. Also known as Nantucket Pie


Pink Heritage Pie Pumpkin
Unfortunately the true name of this pumpkin is unknown.  

Here is the note Debbie gave us:
This seed was given to me several years ago from a friend who only used this variety of pumpkin for her pies.  We have been enjoying it since, lots of meat in the pumpkin, unfortunately I don’t know the correct name, maybe someone recognizes it and would let me know.






I can't wait to try some of these.  I hope you do too.

Maryrose

No comments: